Natural Sun Care Tips for Healthy Summer Skin
This summer, sun worshipers are heading in droves to beaches, waterparks and nearby pools for the sole purpose of relaxing and soaking up the gorgeous sun. While it’s fun to get out there and bask in the sun’s warmth, it’s remarkably less fun dealing with some of the consequences of being in the sun for too long. Check out our helpful suncare pointers before you throw on your sunnies and grab some rays! Why Care About Suncare? According to the American Academy of Dermatology, being in the sun too much can cause sunburn, freckles, skin texture changes, rashes and dilated blood vessels. Exposure also increases the risk of skin cancer and is the cause of 90% of wrinkles.
How to Select Suncare
- Be SPF smart. SPF numbers refer only to protection from UVB sun rays—those that cause redness and burning—not from UVA rays (“aging rays”) which damage collagen and elastin as well as skin structure.
- Wear a wide-brimmed hat. Our easiest, go[-to sun protection trick. Invest in a stylish wide-brimmed hat and wear it all summer!
- Get the best block for your buck. Mineral-based (physical) blocks reflect rays with minerals such as titanium dioxide and zinc oxide that immediately provide UVB and UVA protection.
- Go beyond protection. The sun is hard on skin, so choose suncare that not only protects, but nourishes with high levels of nutrient-rich ingredients. Some—green tea, soy, milk thistle, caffeine, carrot oil—can offer protection, too!
Feeling the burn? Go natural!
- Peppermint oil, calendula oil or St. John’s Wort extract supports a cool feeling and a healthy inflammatory response; add drops to lotion or a cool bath.
- Witch hazel or green, white or black tea (brewed and cooled) contain tannins for promoting healing and a healthy inflammation response.
- Aloe vera gel (undiluted) soothes and promotes healing; look for high percentage in products.
- Cucumber juice or rosewater is soothing.
- Vitamin E oil, avocado oil or diluted lavender essential oil promotes healing.
Product Tip: Treat dried, sun-kissed summer skin to our Barn Balm. Our Barn Balm is a unique blend of luxurious whipped body cream and Shea butter for those areas of the body that need an extra special touch. Available in 6 fragrances and packaged in an adorable jelly jar.
One last tip: Sun lovers can benefit from more vitamin C. Like other antioxidants, it protects the skin from free radicals formed from sun exposure. It also aids collagen production to help keep skin smooth and firm. So eat more C-rich foods or add vitamin C drink powder to your summer water bottle!